Thursday, February 19, 2009

Unnecessary Convenience

I don't like these:

When Tiegan received a pack of these coloring books and markers for her birthday, I thought hey cool, I won't have to clean marker stains off her clothes/hands/furniture/carpet anymore.

Right...

Now that Tiegan knows these special markers only color on their special books, she has decided to put them to the test. I've caught her "coloring" on several other things including herself, the walls, her coloring table, and various toys including slides for her viewmaster.

I decided to take away the books & markers for a few days until she can learn to color on her coloring books and only her coloring books. I tried explaining that even though these special markers don't show color on other things, they still have chemicals in them that could ruin certain things.

Not sure if she gets that.

What's wrong with teaching them how to stay on the paper with NORMAL markers?
For every child issue, there has come a problem-solving, more expensive toy or solution out there. I don't think they solve the real problems. I think they just make the world too convenient and children are growing up to be big spoiled babies who get everything handed to them.

Or am I making a bigger issue out of Color Wonder than it needs to be?

1 comment:

heather said...

No, those were all my exact thoughts when the whole ColorWonder line came out... why make it "okay" for kids to draw and paint on things they shouldn't? Isn't that just inviting more limitations to fly out the window? What is wrong with teaching kids that markers belong on paper???

That said, we did get a pack as a gift a couple of years ago and I do love them for things like road trips or vacations when we're staying at friends' or family's houses and the kids can still do something cool like markers and I don't have to worry about the mess on someone else's property if they decide to get a little crazy with their art!