Thursday, February 19, 2009

Adult Toddler

My three-year-old daughter seems to be unusually concerned with the adult world around her. When I was a kid, I was pretty much oblivious to what my parents were doing. I seemed to be in my own little child's-play world. Do YOU remember being this in-tune to what was going on with the adults around you?

T: Mommy, why didn't Daddy like his old phone?
Me: He liked it just fine, honey, but it broke so he had to get a new one.
T: Why did it break?
Me: Things like that just wear out over time and need to be replaced, like our clothes, cars, and toys.
T: But your phone still works. Why do YOU want a new one?

T: [in the car] Why are you turning that way?
Jason: Because that's the way we're going.
T: But where are we going?
Jason: Don't worry about it, you'll see when we get there.
T: But I HAVE to worry about it!

Me: I'll be right back, I have to go pee. [going upstairs]
T: [a few seconds later, *yelling up the stairs*] Are you OK up there, Mommy? Do you need any help?

T: [waking me up at 3am last night] I just wanted to tell you that I love you. Can you wake Daddy up so I can tell him too?
Me: No honey, let Daddy sleep. I love you too. I'll tuck you back into bed.
T: [as I tuck her back in] I hope you and Daddy feel better soon. When Daddy wakes up in the morning I'll tell him I hope he feels better.

Seriously, do I have some anomaly of a 3-year-old who is exceedingly concerned with her parents' lives, or is this becoming the norm for her generation? We often have to tell her not to worry about grown-up things and just have fun with her toys. Really. I'm glad I have such a compassionate, alert, and environmentally aware child, though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it could be because she's an only!

i think kids with siblings tend to go off in their own, kiddie-little worlds together, and only siblings spend more time with grown ups so they're more interested.

i bet once her little sis gets big enough, she'll completely forget about your cell phone habits lol

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

I love it! Lukas brings out some of the craziest things too. Like where they get this from, I don't know. The other day he used the word "absolutely". Seriously kid. Where did you pick this up? This was his response when I asked him if he wanted a popsicle. LOL!