Saturday, January 3, 2009

Potty Training Nightmare

Is this an OK blog subject? Eh, this is a family/friends blog. Why not.
We're a little bit behind. I don't know what to do anymore.

Over the summer, when Jason and I were separated, Tiegan went into a huge regression. She completely stopped using the potty and showed absolutely no interest. She went from being in training pants all day and diapers at night to pull-ups all the time and never using the potty. I felt so guilty, because I know it was a tough time for her. Not only did she go back and forth between me (at my parents' house) and Jason (who was in the process of moving to the lake), but she also spent many days and nights at Judy's house. Between 4 different "homes" over the summer, there were tons of inconsistencies. I completely understand why she didn't want to bother anymore.

At our old house, when we were still together, she had a routine. She knew exactly what to expect and how to go about doing things. Then we created this hurricane and she was here, there, and everywhere. Predictability went out the window and it was just easier for her to give up for a while.

When we made amends and I moved back in with Jason at the "lake house," everything started melding back together in perfect harmony.

Everything except Tiegan's potty training.
We've tried ditching the pull-ups and putting her in real, big-girl panties all the time. That doesn't work. By day's end we need to resort to pull-ups until we can make it to the laundromat. (By the way, not having a washer/dry in-house STINKS.)
I encourage her and take her to the bathroom with me when I go. I don't push too hard, but her lack of interest is a little bothersome. Not only that, but it's getting expensive! I don't think my wallet can handle 2 kids in diapers if this is still going on by summertime.

Everyone says "she'll go when she's ready." But she WAS ready, and she WAS going. Will she re-try someday, or has something happened to make her never want to go again?

No comments: