Monday, January 12, 2009

Domestication

Yesterday, I knew it was time to go grocery shopping. So I thought I'd be smart and create a healthy list, including bulk items that we could make more home-cooked meals with. Jason one-upped me. He did the cutest (and most practical) thing he's done in a long time.

He created a Cozi family calendar and surprised me with a week's worth of dinner menus all planned out. He even used the Betty Crocker recipe site to pick out dishes and plan a grocery shopping list.

Let me tell you: I HAVE to recommend this to everyone. I know I sound like an ad for the Betty Crocker site, but it really made our shopping way easier. We spent less money than usual, and I think we have more useful food this time. Normally, we grab some meats and some staple ingredients for side dishes, but for some reason we always end up with an uneven amount of things that don't end up going together. And food always ends up going bad before we eat it.
I love smart shopping.

Last night, JASON COOKED (!!!) a yummy, healthy (!!! again) meal.


It was like a 15-minute skillet dish with chicken breast, onions, and fresh spinach. The killer ingredient was Nutmeg. Oh, that unexpected spice that makes everyone go "hmmmm". It was great.



If you want the recipe, it's right here. Tonight we're having steak fajita salad. I can't remember what's on the docket for the rest of the week. Next week it'll be my turn to choose the menu. We're going to turn into some serious foodies.

In other news, snowmobiles have really been enjoying all this snow on the lake the past couple days...


Jason, being a lake-living veteran, warned me that sometimes on the weekends they get revving back and forth across the lake into the wee hours. So far they haven't kept me up. I've had a couple dreams that they've come crashing into our house, though. Yikes.

1 comment:

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

I definitely need to get on the band wagon of planning meals! I just signed up for this Cozi sight and will look at recipes on Betty Crocker. Tony is a really picky eater, so trying to find things that he will like and get the healthy bits in there is sometimes hard to do. I wish I could put up a list of the foods that we like to eats and someone could come up with alternative ways to cook them or meals with those items. I just am at a lost for what to cook now. And I dont even have a problem with nausea or anything. Everything looks good to eat. The problem is its all takeout food. I need to make dinners at home. ugh....