Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hours to Seconds

It's so hard to believe my little one is nearly 2 weeks old. She's already showing signs of getting bigger - losing some of those newborn wrinkles, lifting her head on her own, and staying awake for longer periods. When I think about this being my last chance to experience that sweet newborn phase, I get sad that it's going to be over so quickly. But then I remember that we have so many new things to experience - we get to have all those "firsts" all over again! That part of having a baby is so much fun. It totally negates all the stress babies may add to your life, although I have to admit, I'm not nearly as frazzled this time around. Piece of cake. So far.

I am missing Tiegan like crazy. She spent the day at her grandma's yesterday (great-grandma's, really, because it's Jason's grandma) and I was expecting Jason to pick her up on his way home from work like we had planned. I called about 15 minutes out from when he usually gets home, to see what I should make for dinner & if T had eaten yet.

"Uh... actually..."

Turns out grandma took her to the Toledo zoo yesterday and he forgot to tell me, and they wouldn't be back til late. Maybe I'm crazy, but shouldn't a mother KNOW WHEN HER CHILD IS BEING TAKEN OUT OF STATE? Not to mention I'm pretty bummed that I wasn't asked permission first. I'm sure Jason probably gave them the OK, but I wish it would have been cleared with me. I was really wanting Tiegan's first trip to the zoo (first memorable one, at least -- we took her as a baby) to be with us. This isn't the first time my wishes haven't been honored, and I'm starting to feel like the steering wheel is slipping from my grip.

I'm trying to look at the bright side, because it's already happened and there's nothing I can do about it. At least she got to go, and at least she was able to have that fun memory with somebody, because we may not have been able to afford to go this summer. I just feel like we're missing out on all her fun moments. I'm glad that her grandma is willing to take her here and there, to festivals and shows and events... but I just hope she doesn't grow up thinking she never had any fun with Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

Mackenzie said...

At first, I would feel the same way you do with the whole Zoo issue. I also would have liked to been notified (but maybe Jason was told and forgot to tell you along the way, happens all the time over here LOL) But then if you think about it...how many kids do you think get to even see their great-grandparents? Or even have them in the first place? And Tiegan's g-gma is taking her places. That will always be special to her. I'm sure she will remember her taking her to the zoo as "Wow, I got to spend quality time with my g-gma" not "Where were my mom and dad?" :)