Saturday, June 27, 2009

New Era Dawn

Pet Peeve of the Day: complete strangers approaching me and striking up conversation about my enormous belly. This has happened more times than I can account for in the past couple days. I've been asked if I'm having twins. I've been blessed and wished luck by many. Some women feel the need to tell me all about their pregnancies. Others comment on how tired/miserable I must be. The most common statement: "You look like you're ready to POP!"

Yes, I am, thank you for noticing. Please politely refrain from spewing the Word Vomit that's creeping up in your throat and move along. The wrath of the irritated full-term-pregnant-woman is likely more than you can endure. I'm about sick of being polite to these strangers.


I know it's nothing I can help, but I am starting to feel the need to get labor going NOW. Why? Not because I'm exhausted (although I am). Not because I'm anxious/excited to meet this little goober (although I am). Not because I'm just plain sick of being pregnant (although I am). But because...

Jason starts his new job Monday!

He officially resigned from his current job today, which is why I couldn't announce anything just yet. He'll be starting as a Collector at a credit union in Lansing on Monday, and he can't very well ask for time off right away if/when I have the baby. Luckily he'll have much more family-friendly hours despite the drive there and back every day. However... I just can't imagine going into labor and having this baby without him there. My mom will be there, so I know I won't be alone, but he was so amazing during my labor & delivery with Tiegan. He was right there with me every step of the way, reminding me of what a great job I was doing & that I was his hero. I will just be heartbroken if he has to miss the birth of his 2nd daughter.

This job, though, will be so much better for all of us and we just can't help the timing. Usually everything just sort of falls into place for us at the right moment (usually the last moment), so I'm hoping that's what happens here.

We will also need a 2nd vehicle by the time I'm done with maternity leave, or else I have no idea how the both of us are going to get back & forth to work.

This should be an interesting balancing act.

1 comment:

heather said...

Congrats to Jason!
And yes, it's a brand new job, but I'm sure they'll understand if his WIFE IS HAVING A BABY!! Sure, he won't have the luxury of a few days off to get you and Sofia settled, but there's no reason he shouldn't be able to leave work if/when you're actually in labor! This is not just "asking for time off"; this is paramount to a family emergency... I would be shocked if anyone required him to complete a full day of work rather than leave a few hours early to be there for the birth of his child!!

Regardless, I know you're anxious to meet Sofia, so I'll be cheering for you today!
Like you said yourself- the timing will work itself out!