Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Vocalista

I miss singing and need to get back into it. Did you know I performed a recital at 16 years old, including 11 songs in 5 languages, all memorized?

There was a summer a while back where I was paid to sing at weddings. Funerals, too. Basics like the Lord's Prayer and Ave Maria. I'd really like to get back into that. It would be a nice little extra cash flow, and I could also get my voice back into shape. When I say I miss singing, I mean I really miss singing. My former vocal coach (whom I also miss learning from) once told me that pregnancy actually thickens and strengthens the vocal cords... or something to that effect. It's from the hormones. The voice gets richer. I've definitely noticed that when singing in the shower... or the kitchen... or the car... or wherever.

I'm kind of conflicted about what to advertise this summer. Would I rather sing at weddings, or photograph them? Photography would certainly make a bit more money, but it is incredibly time-intensive and I will have just had a baby. Small weddings aren't so bad. I've done a couple bigger ones (200 guests or so... 8-9 hour day and weeks of post-processing). So... I guess if you know anyone getting married soon and they need a vocalist... you know who to call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know how you feel

all the singing i do these days is in my car, or at work

something about The Wheels on the Bus just doesn't do it for me :-)