Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sour Cream Banana Bread

The results are in... it's a hit!
(With me, at least. I haven't test driven it on anyone else yet.)

Here's what I did...
1. Get the recipe out. :)


2. Combine sugar, margarine, eggs, and vanilla in mixing bowl.


This is what it will look like. You could use a whisk or electric mixer, but I don't have either of those so I used a fork. Works just fine.


3. Add dry ingredients (flour, salt, soda) to the wet sugar mixture. Don't worry about combining too thoroughly - you don't want to overmix and toughen the dough. You'll be mixing more later when you add the bananas & sour cream.


4. Mash up 1 cup of bananas. That's about 2 whole bananas. I cut up one banana at a time and mashed (again, with a fork) in a separate bowl.


Mashed banana:


4. Add sour cream and bananas to dough. Combine thoroughly without overbeating. (Again, trusty fork is fine).

At the last minute, I realized I hadn't prepared my baking pan yet. It should be baked in a loaf pan, which I soon discovered I didn't even own. How do I not have a standard loaf pan?! I took a chance and decided to try using a 9" round cake pan.


It worked!! Cook time was actually about 5 minutes less than the recipe calls for. That could either be because of the difference in the shape of the pan, or it could just be my oven.


Sour Cream Banana Bread
1/2 c. Margarine or room-temp Butter
1 c. Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda (you can use baking powder, which I did, but you'll need a little extra - almost a tablespoon)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Mashed Banana
1/2 c. Chopped Nuts (optional - we didn't have any so I didn't bother, but walnuts would be yummy - or chocolate chips!)
1/2 c. Sour Cream (I used runny-ish low-fat sour cream which makes for a fluffier result. If you used the full fat, thicker stuff, you might turn out with a more dense bread. It all depends on your taste.)

Instructions: Grease 1 loaf pan (or 9" round cake pan!). Cream margarine, sugar, eggs, vanilla. Add dry ingredients, then bananas & sour cream. Mix well.
Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 1 hour.

See how insanely simple?! No wonder it turned out. It's foolproof. Feel free to make your own variations of this recipe, but don't forget to share 'em with me!

No comments: