Saturday, March 21, 2009

Savings Can

Tiegan and I had a little project last week. I'm always promising her arts & crafts time, but I never seem to follow through. Either I don't feel like cleaning up the subsequent mess, or I just don't have the energy to keep an eye on her when it comes to glitter, glue, etc.

Well, we finally did something. It's not exceptionally pretty, but it's genuinely Tiegan's. And that's what I love about it.

We took an old coffee can, cut a slit in the rubber lid, and covered the can itself in construction paper. I wrote "Tiegan's Savings" on it in block letters, and gave her markers & told her to go crazy drawing on it. She loves saving money, so I told her that any coins she finds lying around the house, she's allowed to keep for herself. (Sometimes I purposely "drop" a few coins on the floor for her to find -- wont' be doing this when Sofia starts crawling!) We also give her a dollar here and there, once in a while, for really good behavior or simply proud moments. She has the option to put it in her savings, or spend it at the store. Lately she's been wanting to save. That a girl!




No comments: