Sunday, May 31, 2009

Weird.

Yesterday was a weird day.

Just a warning: I'm going to be using that word a lot in this post.

About a half hour after I woke up, at 7:30, I started feeling jittery. I had some coffee & oatmeal. I started a hot shower. In the shower, my jitters were turning into full-on shakes and I was very short of breath. Thinking it was probably just the steam making me unable to breathe, I got out.

All during my rummaging around the bedroom finding something to wear (which I will share with you later... it's not pretty), makeup application, hair styling, etc. I was becoming increasingly delirious and fatigued from all the jitters. I just felt plain weird. I texted Jason and went back to bed. At 9am. Very unlike me.

Where was Tiegan during all this, you ask? Oh, she had spent the night at J's parents' house the night before. Yeah, she she usually spends a night at her grandparents' on the weekends. They live very close to us. Tiegan enjoys it and we appreciate the load off our shoulders. I don't want any guff.

So, there I was, back in bed. I was there for about 2 hours - also something very unusual for me on a beautiful Saturday morning. I was awake the whole time, but very detached from reality. Void of energy, I felt like my head was floating. My hands were visibly shaky at this point. I figured maybe I just needed to eat a little more. So, hot dogs being pretty much the only substantial food in our kitchen (Sunday is grocery day and we were wearing a little thin by this point), that's what I had. And an ice cream bar. And milk. And lots of water. And lots of ice to chew on. I was soooooo thirsty.

About a half hour after that, I felt worse. A little nauseated now, too, which was creeping back up from a weird bout of urpy-ness the night before that, until now, I hadn't thought anything of. Jason, via text, thought I might be anemic. So of course by this point my only logical course of action was to call Mom, RN. She thought I should get a hold of an on-call OB. So I did.

Dr. M called me back. I described my symptoms as best I could. For several hours I had been:
  • Pale & shaky
  • Nauseated
  • Dizzy & disoriented
  • Clumsy/unable to keep a good grip on anything & running into things
  • Very short of breath
  • Extremely thirsty
  • Feeling "weird"
He said I probably picked up a virus somewhere, to which my answer was, "I've had cold-like symptoms for over a week now and this is entirely new." So then he said I might have low blood sugar and just need to eat, to which my answer was, "I've already had oatmeal, hot dogs, ice cream, milk and plenty of water today." He resorted to "just take it easy and it should go away within a few hours," without any further explanation.

What is with that?! I seem to have no luck finding a doctor that will actually give me the time of day.

So, take it easy I did. Uh... didn't.
By the time Jason got home from work around 1pm, I had been in bed for quite a while and my shakes were starting to diminish. We decided to go grocery shopping. I figured if I were to nail this thing on the head, I might as well monitor how I feel when going about normal activity instead of lying on my ass all day.

By the time we got back home, I was shaking all over again, feeling much worse (all the symptoms above, just exaggerated- and by this point I was rambling on about how weird I felt). And now on top of it all I was having cramps. BAD cramps that hurt deep in my lower back and left me clammy and even dizzier than before.

If my cramps had been closer together, I probably would have gone to the hospital like my mom had advised by this point. Jason was convinced I was in the early stages of labor. I was reminded of how I was shaking uncontrollably once I was induced last time. They had to hold me down to administer the epidural. But I just didn't feel like I was in labor yesterday. I argued with myself over this for quite a while. When I arrived at the hospital to be induced with Tiegan, they informed me that I was already in labor. I had no idea. I figured I would just know. And I didn't.

My maternal instincts were thrown for a loop here. Do I trust myself? I don't know.

I decided to take it easy and monitor the cramping. They were erratic, still, but very uncomfortable. They continued through the night, only every 45 minutes or so. Here I am, at 8am the following day, feeling a little more "with it" but still very weird and still having very erratic, but uncomfortable, cramping.

I think I should wait it out.

What would YOU do?

1 comment:

Leslie Collins said...

If your contractions stick around, get your booty to the hospital! :) The worse thing they will do is send you home. Try and rest as much as possible. :)