Saturday, May 9, 2009

Monster Update & Sofia's Room

It's been almost a week since I've blogged? Seriously? I have no excuse. Well, here comes a monster.

Aside from pregnancy slowing me waaayyy down lately, this week/weekend has been pretty great. The past few days I've been feeling increasingly winded, sore, and just plain run down. I start my days with enthusiasm (after enough coffee, of course), but I'm practically limping before 3pm. Perhaps a sign that I'm pushing myself too hard.

Overall, I think I've been doing really well throughout this entire pregnancy. I get my daily exercise, and have been [moderately] watching what I eat with only the occasional indulgence (*ahem*... Rudy's). I'm trying sooo hard to stay in shape, so I have as smooth a transition as possible through labor & recovery... and subsequent weight loss resulting in remarks like, "I can't believe you just had a baby!" However, I seem to get mixed reviews- as to how I look, at least. Mom keeps asking me, "are you SURE you're not due until July?" (hinting at how BIG I am). I've heard this from a couple others, too. Some people comment on how tiny I am for being 32 weeks (YES... 32 weeks!) along. It doesn't help that I feel like a cow compared to Super-Preggo Heather Armstrong, whose blog I recently started following.

With my first paycheck (yay!) we have been given a glimpse into the world of double-income once again... and it is good. This time around, we are being frugal and smart. We went to several stores today and yesterday with the intention of really stocking up on stuff we have been wanting for a long time, but haven't been able to afford. Especially things for Sofia. I'm really proud of how we've held ourselves back from going on a crazy spending spree.

Here's a look at Sofia's room as of this afternoon, finally with all the crap cleared out.


We got the bassinet from someone on Craigslist for $20. I like it because it's cute, but still neutral (not themed) and not too frilly. Can you see the mini-fridge next to the changing table? Who's a smart mama? THIS CHICK. We plan to keep a couple prepared bottles in the mini-fridge, and hope to get a bottle warmer too. So we don't have to be making midnight trips downstairs for feedings. I'd like to get a rocker for the corner (next to the changing table- I am contemplating on getting this one from Walmart's website), but this whole layout could change.


The papasan and swing are thanks to MacKenzie. The swing won't stay in the room, I'm sure... it will probably end up in the living room, but I stuck it up here so it's out of the way for the next few weeks at least. ;)


I finally got around to stripping the wallpaper-like stuff off the shelves of the changing table. Now to find some suitable fabric to adhere. Since we can't paint, I'm looking for blue/green accessories like the wall decals here. Wanna know where I found them? The dollar store @ Jackson Crossing. Yup. Also found those cute green buckets there. Literally $1 each.

What's with the bag on the top shelf, you ask? I collected & saved all the gift bags from my baby shower(s) with Tiegan. I thought I could do something cool with them someday, either re-using them for gifts for others, or making some sort of cool craft. They are all pretty stylish. Not too cheesy. And as luck would have it, they are mostly green-blue. I might make an abstract piece of scrapbook-y looking art and frame it for Sofia's room. Dunno yet. Any ideas?


And here's the gawdy knotty pine dresser that was mine as a kid. I'm thinking of painting it, but that's kind of a big project to take on. We'll see. Also, the curtain I hung in the closet doorway is way too long. Still trying to decide if I like the draped look, or if I should hem it.

So that's the gist of Sofia's bedroom. Stark. We'll liven it up in the next few weeks, hopefully. Next blog: a 32-week belly photo.

No comments: