Friday, May 1, 2009

Not so much Mush as Logic.

**EDIT** I should make a note of it that I'm not referring to any of you in particular with this post. I'm not attacking the friends of mine who occasionally have hubby gripes (as we all do sometimes). I'm not talking about anyone in particular, for that matter. This entry was simply brought on by a trend I've seen in a few people I barely know. So, read on...

Today I will share with you one of my pet peeves.

It really bothers me when women, who work part time or not at all, complain about their husbands constantly.

Oh sure, I can understand the occasional complaint. Maybe you hinted & hinted & hinted that you would have liked a back rub after your particularly hard day (perhaps chasing the kids), and he was totally oblivious. Maybe you asked for the garbage to be taken out and got an "OK, just a minute" and it never happened, even though he wasn't doing anything important in the first place.

We've all been there. But the kind of complaining that really bothers me is constant bitching about the Mr. not being good enough or amounting to expectations. I guess I just really can't relate to that. When Jason comes home from a 10 or 12 hour day, without having taken a lunch (so that he gets out early on the weekend to spend more time with me), I don't expect much of him. Just being in his presence is enough for me. Sure, it might be nice to have some heavy lifting done around the house that I can't do myself. But here's my theory...

He works hard, all day, every day, to get a paycheck that makes our lives comfortable. We have everything we need thanks to him. Although I'm glad to have made a supplemental income here and there, it is because of his hard work the past 4 years that we are all happy & healthy. So since he works hard to give me a good life (because he cares about me), why shouldn't I do the same? I make sure he comes home to a warm and happy house. I don't ask much of him because I can empathize with how tired he must be after such a long day of dealing with angry customers/co-workers/bosses and moving furniture all day.

I don't put his feet up, sponge bathe him, fan him with a banana leaf and feed him grapes, but you get the picture. (Although I'm sure that's something he'd thoroughly enjoy.)

Don't think this is some self-righteous anti-feminism nonsense. Ohhh no. If I worked full time and HE was the part-time worker or stay-at-home Dad (which I wouldn't be opposed to), I suspect he would treat me the same way. I guess it's a little thing called respect.

Love ya, rabbit.

No comments: