Saturday, October 31, 2009

On making the world go 'round.

A couple days ago, Jason & I had our first cross words with each other in a loooooong time.
(I'm talking months.)

It was bedtime, and Tiegan was in the living room throwing a fit. Waterworks and everything. It was my night with Sofia so I took her up to bed and put her down. I came back to the living room and knelt down next to Jason, putting my head on his shoulder. I took a deep breath, and he cut me off in a curt tone -- "just go to bed and I'll deal with this."

I told him he didn't have to have an attitude. He told me I didn't have to come down and complain about the noise Tiegan was making. He assumed I was putting my head on his shoulder in frustration as if to say, "Please make her be quiet so I can go to sleep."

What he didn't realize is, I was actually about to say, "Okay I've got Sofia to bed now. What can I do to help?"

So I stormed upstairs, while snapping at him about trying to read my mind. Or something.

So really, obviously a silly little quarrel.

Once he had finally gotten Tiegan calmed down and in bed, he came into our room to talk about what we said. We both explained what we meant and that we hadn't intended to be rude to each other... and agreed the whole thing was silly.

And that was that. And we went to sleep happy, in each other's arms.

Never go to bed angry. Always communicate about problems. Embrace each other through tough times. Stay close, yet give each other space when needed. These are things that have gotten us through the tough times. That, and the fact that our beliefs and ideals as far as marriage is concerned are so much alike.

I rejoice every day in the fact that I have such a beautifully functioning family, and that our house is bursting with love.

No comments: