Thursday, October 15, 2009

The New Sarah Bernhardt

Sometimes I feel like I have the smartest, most well-mannered 3.5 year old on Earth.
She says "please" and "thank you" most of the time.
She offers a helping hand when chores need to be done.
She is learning to read and write at an incredible rate.
She is sweet and helpful with her baby sister.
She reminds me & Jason (when she's not mad at us) that she loves us THIIIISSSSS much.
When asked to help, she usually jumps on the task with excitement.

Other times, I feel like I have the most ill-behaved 3.5 year old on Earth.
This is an exaggeration, I'm sure, but I can't describe how quickly I've been losing my patience with her lately. Several days in a row now, I've had to resort to sending her to her room until she's calmed down. This is a new development. I'm not used to having to be such a disciplinarian. I can't say I love the job, but it is exactly that.

She melts down about the littlest things. Usually it's about making her do something she didn't want to, or making her stop doing something she was enjoying. And then once she's upset, she eggs herself on by finding other little things to whine (scream uncontrollably) about.

Example: The other day I put her in her room after a good solid hour of her screaming and crying about... well, I really don't remember, to be honest. After 10 minutes she herself has forgotten what the original problem was.
So, she was in her room forcing herself to make awful noises and grunts and whines so the tears would keep flowing. I stood outside her door, listening:
"WHY are my SANDALS up here in my ROOOoOoOooOooOOOOOMMMM-uh???" (repeat x3)
"I didn't WANT my nightlight onnnNNNNnNnNNNNnn-uh!!!" (repeat x5)
"I want my MOMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!" (repeat x3)
So, I finally take a deep breath, and go in to check on her.
"NO - Get out of my room, I'm MAD at you!"

Drama. Queen.

She's lucky she's pretty.


No comments: