Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday Works - Dreams of Home Improvement

I like our cute little house on the lake.

But it's exactly that. Little. And every day, it feels smaller and smaller. I am pretty sure our next step will be to buy our own home - much larger than this one. We can afford it (finally), but we will have to wait about a year until our credit is better and we can qualify for a good loan.

Until then, when we can renovate whatever our hearts desire in our OWN house... we have to make do with what we've got, which is a rental. There are several things I'd really love to spruce up to make the rest of our stay here more enjoyable, but I doubt I'll ever get to them. I'd need permission from the landlords to do what I want, and am not sure it would be worth the time/effort if we're not going to stay for a long time.

Here are some things I'd really like to work on... (there's the "Wednesday Works" coming in to play):

#1 - Kitchen Cabinets

It's painful just sharing this picture with you, let alone looking at them every day. They are in dire need of AT LEAST a fresh coat of paint. It's chipping and damaged in areas, and there is white paint splattered on the faces of some cabinets, making everything look dirty... when in reality, it's not. This picture makes them look better than they actually are, to tell you the truth. The base color is a lot more orangey in real life than in this photo, too. I would slap a fresh coat of paint on everything, and dress things up with new hardware.

#2 - First Impression

Sadly, this is the first thing you see when you come in my back door (the only entrance to the house). The stairs up to the kitchen are to the left, and the way down to my scary basement stares you right in the face. Not only is it a horrible first impression, but I have to see it every day when I come home. I would at least hang a curtain here, or paint the stairs & install a door at the bottom (if that window weren't in the way).

#3 - Wood Paneling

And plenty of it. The whole dining area is covered in this stuff, and I'd like to at least paint it. If we owned the house, I'd rip it all down. You can't see in the photo, but there are nail holes everywhere from years & years worth of tenants.

#4 - The Shower That Will Eat You Alive

This is something I learned to get used to, but with which I am growing irritated. First of all - CAN YOU SEE HOW SMALL MY BATHROOM IS? To take this photo, I slapped on the widest lens I have and am standing BETWEEN THE TOILET AND THE SINK with my back up against the wall. Also, you can see the rust through the shower door. Oh, I've scrubbed with industrial-grade rust treatment, but it just keeps coming back. So I've given up hope. Also, isn't it sad that I haven't had a bubble bath in over a year? That shower stall is just over 5 ft. tall. It's a good thing I'm short. YOU try shaving your legs in there!

So, that's not really something I can work on. But at least maybe it would be possible to knock out that linen closet and install a larger, corner-style shower? Something I'd consider if I owned the place. But I don't. So I won't.

Here's to dreams of the future!

No comments: