Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Good Job

I think everyone can relate to working at a job they can't stand. You might feel...
- under-appreciated (or just plain UN-appreciated)
- like your superiors don't believe in you
- like your crappy co-workers get more praise than they deserve, while you sink into the background

Raise your hand if you've ever felt that way. I know I have. And I never thought I'd see the day when I would feel exactly the opposite about my job.

My previous newspaper job was great at first. I was fresh out of high school and had a ton of responsibility. I had a Manager title and took care of a lot of clients. However, over time, it started feeling like my co-workers and superior didn't trust me. They were always questioning me; doubting my skills and ideas. They would ask me for my thoughts on what we should do about a particular marketing strategy, and when I came up with a plan, they shot it down. There were plenty of times I wish I would have just said, "You think it's so easy? Okay, YOU do it!"

I finally quit one day. And would you believe it - they begged me to come back. Twice. And I did, each time. And both times I regretted it. You'd think that they would have realized how difficult my job really was, and that it took talent. Maybe they'd start appreciating what I did for them more. But no. Nothing had changed. I quit again.

Several months went by, and I thought I could get by on photography alone. That was a joke. I had some photography gigs here and there, but not enough to pay the bills. I hunted and hunted for a job I was suited for. After submitting countless applications to no avail, I even started regretting acting all mighty and leaving the old newspaper on my high horse not 1, not 2, but 3 times. I quit searching for a while and started to feel sorry for myself. I began to wonder if I really did suck at my job.

Then, one day, my mom told me there was a job for a newspaper ad designer in the classifieds. I must have missed it that day.
I read the description. I started breathing heavily. My heart fluttered. It was PERFECT.
All my days at the old newspaper as Advertising Manager, I liked the responsibility but it was too stressful. All I wanted to do was design ads. That was my favorite part of the job. I always said I would have been happier sitting in a corner somewhere, designing newspaper ads all day.

I sent my resume. I got called back for an interview. And then another one. And then... I was hired.

It's been 7 months (minus the part where I had a baby) and I still get a little disappointed when I have to leave every day.

And that's what it's like to have a job where you're appreciated. You feel like you matter. Your superiors believe in you. You're co-workers are good people and you work on the same level with them.

Just so ya know. Jobs like that do exist. :)

No comments: