Thursday, September 10, 2009

Yours & Mine

Today marks the fourth year that Jason & I have been married.

On this day in 2005, there was plenty of sun and the temperature had to have been in the low 80's. I think it was our very last gorgeous summer day of that year.

Jason & I were already living together, and I was a few months pregnant... so just for fun, my bridesmaids and I spent the night at my parents' house the night before the wedding. It was that night - at about 2am while I was lying awake in bed - that I felt those first flutters of baby movement in my belly. Such a special memory for me. I knew what it was right away and felt like waking the whole house up to tell everyone. But I kept it to myself and let them sleep.

Luckily at the time I wasn't showing very much yet and was able to wear the wedding dress I had picked out several months earlier.



I knew Jason had a surprise for me for after the wedding, but I had no idea what it would be. He even gave me a clue that it had something to do with the getaway vehicle... I was still stumped. I don't have time now, but soon I will find the picture of the look on my face when I finally saw my surprise:



Details I remember from our wedding...
  • My mom bought me a $100 tiara/headband several months before the wedding, along with my wedding dress. When we went to pick out the bridesmaids dresses later, I found one that I liked better. My mom bought that one too, and it's the one I wore. I still have both - the first one even has the tag on it.
  • My legs/ankles were covered in mosquito bites/scars and I was so worried I wouldn't photograph well during the garter shots.
  • Minutes before the wedding was to start, I was walking around the dressing room and realized that the seamstress had done a HORRIBLE job taking up the length of my dress. I was tripping all over it. Luckily the skirt was just 14 layers of tulle and my mom and godmother were able to trim it up with scissors and nobody noticed.
  • I wore white ballet slippers so I wouldn't appear taller than Jason at the altar.
  • I didn't get to spend much time with Jason at the reception (which was at Bullinger's). We kept getting called to different areas and practically the only time we actually saw each other was when we danced, and during the garter bit.
  • Jason let his friend Tim and his girlfriend crash at OUR HOUSE on our WEDDING NIGHT because they were too drunk to drive.
  • The groomsmen were in charge of blowing out all the candles after the wedding. They forgot, and our unity candle set the flowers around it on fire.
  • My mom and I made all the bouquets by hand, using silk flowers. They were made of hydrangeas and long grasses.
  • During the ceremony, Jason and I had our eyes fixed on each other. We barely looked away. I couldn't stop smiling. My face hurt by the end of the evening.
  • During our first dance at the reception, it was the same thing. We kept staring at each other and giggling... and there was lots of kissing.
  • Our photographer was weird. He didn't take many candid pictures of US; instead he took lots of photos of my friend Sarah and her DD rack, the people from our church that he knew, and Jason's grandpa making out with his wife on the dance floor.
It was a wonderful day - a little rushed, but wonderful. I am so glad to have committed to the man I know was meant for me. Our whole lives had been leading up to that one night that we saw each other again for the first time - I just know it.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

your wedding looked totally awesome, from the pictures. i remember seeing them on myspace and thinking "WOW. did she get married in Jackson? cause I don't really believe that." but you did! anyway, i'm glad you and your family are so happy together, and here's to 4 more! or 40 :-)

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

Have a GREAT 4 year anniversary, and have many many 4 mores!

Leslie Collins said...

Have a great anniversary! :)