Sunday, August 9, 2009

No Words.

Three and a half... I'm not sure I like this age.

It's the age when INABILITY TO LISTEN kicks in.

Me: "Understand?"
Tiegan: "Yes."
Me: "What did I say?"
Tiegan: "Um... I couldn't hear you, can you say it louder?"

This is no rare occurrence at the Smith household. What a little snot, turning it around on me!

We have a saying around our house that we are all well versed in: "If it's not yours, don't touch it."
We created this phrase and made Tiegan very familiar with it, because she has boundary issues. (As does every other 3 year old on this planet, I'm sure). She has a habit of picking something up, or grabbing something out of your hands, before asking permission. For a while it wasn't so bad. But then I started having to say "Is that yours?"
"No."
"So, if it's not yours..."
and she would finish the sentence: "... don't touch it." And then she would shrug her shoulders and put it down. Or toss it carelessly on the floor. Ya know, whatever.

Something else that bothers me is that she actually will listen and abide by my requests for about 30 seconds once in a while, but then reverts right back to whatever naughty thing she was doing.

Thankfully the naughty things are limited to things like climbing onto the furniture the wrong way, playing with her food or not being quiet when asked. Not serious offenses. But it becomes annoying when I have to ask. Over. and Over. and Over.

I just feel awful, like I scold and bitch at her all day long. But what else am I supposed to do?

No comments: